Monday, July 21, 2008

weekend summary

this is likely to be boring, so prepare yourself:

Friday night: did nothing! and it was great.

Saturday: brunch at hank's oyster bar (usually very good, but this time my eggs were hard and the coffee was kind of weak. poo on that...), followed by a bike ride in and around georgetown with ashby (saw the new-ish DC trader joe's for the first time), followed by near heat stroke from riding in the blazing hot city; used some store-bought hair dye to get rid of uneven sun-bleaching and related roots; BATMAN at the IMAX theatre in dulles, VA - part of the new air and space museum annex (man, it was good...).

Sunday: made some bread in the bread machine; finished the knitting of maddie's sweater; lazed about the house; went to the UMd gym to renew my membership and swam at the pool; had first "summit meeting" with scott, regarding beginning stages of wedding planning - yay!

so that was my action packed weekend. since i finally RE-joined the university gym, i am going tonight. my first visit back after a long long hiatus. i always dread the first time back after a long absence. i feel like everyone can tell at first glance: ill-fitting, too-tight gym clothes; clumsy movements in unfamiliar tennis shoes; shifty, suspicious eyes. these are all telling signs of a guilty return to the gym. oh well. it's gotta happen sometime. time to get it over with. *sigh*

it shouldn't be so hard. but all afternoon i've been having a dialog in my head about it: "nah, i could just leave my gym bag here at work, and go tomorr... NO! GAH! well... i really do have some things to do after work, i should.... NO! FORGET IT! MUST GO TO GYM! i will have to forcibly drag myself to my car, and fight with the steering wheel to make it over to the gym. sadly, once i get there it will be fine, i'll have a great time, and i'll look back and wonder what the heck is wrong with myself. but until then, i'll be gut-punching my conscience for the rest of the day.

really, the only motivators at this point are these two visions: 1) trying on wedding dresses in a cavernous changing salon, which involves standing in my underpants on a raised stage, holding up my boobs, in front of a tri-fold mirror while an old skinny lady puts dresses on my body (it happens! i've seen it done!), and b) fidgeting down the sunlit aisle in a too-tight white dress that shows my too-tight underwear line, with slumps of fat lounging over each side of the strapless dress.

because as i am noticing, almost ALL new wedding dresses are strapless. why? i have a minimal chest and can't be expected to hold up a heavy dress. plus i don't want to have to worry about yanking on it in public. i've got some plans to get around this dress design flaw, but i figure it can't hurt to tone up a smidge while i'm at it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mel! Brandon, Taryn and I are so happy for you!!

Sara

Unknown said...

Maybe the solution is not to get a "new" dress but a "new to you" dress aka vintage? ;)

Good luck with the gym! Also, I need to get some work done on my bianchi but once it's done, I'm up for going on bike rides! I'm yearning to ride the 15 miles from my apt to Great Falls and then back. So, 30 miles RT. It's practically flat for most of it!

mel said...

i'm interested in vintage or a non-traditional dress! i can't see myself in the usual poofy white dress. but vintage gets hard if you're over a size 8 or so. most vintage dresses are on the small-to-miniscule scale. the bigger sizes (like a modern 12 or 14) belonged to old matronly ladies and the styles usually show that... but here's to the Big Search!

i'm down for bike riding! it would be a hilarious pairing - your sleek racer and my huge silver cruiser.