Friday, July 25, 2008

a fun new hike: Old Rag Mountain

i hate the name (bess: "this smells like sour rag!"), but i am intrigued. i love the Billy Goat Trail (photo at right) at Great Falls - it's one of my all-time favorite hikes, especially the rock-scramble part up the cliff. a friend of mine recommended Old Rag, because there is a whole mile of rock-scramble-cliff-area! a whole mile! i can't do straight up rock/cliff climbing because i don't have the upper body strength, but the less-sloped areas like the cliff on the Billy Goat trail are nothing but fun.

Now that i read the description of Old Rag a leetle more closely, it sounds like something that i might want to hold off on - at least until i've been working out a little more. i'd hate to get my flubbery buns stuck in a crack somewhere and have some ranger air-lift me out. yeeesh. what a thought.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG OMG OMG when you go TAKE ME! I haven't done this one yet because every time I think to go it's really nice outside and a weekend. Apparently it's really popular and best to go midweek.

Also, Ian would probably kill me if I take him on more hike that involves rock scrambles. If you like the scrambling, I can clue you on to a few more that I know about. ;)

mel said...

i'll have to come up with a clever mid-week day off. maybe a "dentist appointment" once the fall weather rolls in? i'll let you know...