Thursday, August 6, 2009

austin, TX, here i come!

i'm heading to austin next week, for the annual meeting of the society of american archivists. i am jazzed because i've always heard such great things about austin... but not so jazzed because it is supposed to be several ticks above ONE HUNDRED DEGREES all next week.

just kill me now.

it was hot enough when it was in DC a few years back. but this. this.... i just can't imagine slogging around in that.

i've also been advised to bring my bathing suit because there is a pool at the hotel, and because of the always-62-degree water at barton springs. but what about running into my boss whilst wearing a bathing suit? what about averting my eyes from speedo-sporting colleagues? that makes my stomach hurt, just thinking about it. archivists, including me, are not generally known for their ripped and trim physiques.

in other news, the garden is thriving! photographic evidence here. and my parents were here for a nice visit last weekend - we hit the mid-city dog days of summer sidewalk sale (we stumbled upon it by accident last summer and made a point to go again this year) and the national aboretum, out on new york ave/US50. i got an early-early birthday present! a chiminea! i can't WAIT to have cozy fires in the backyard this fall. and winter. and next spring! and always.

due to my travel craziness, i've had to cancel my appearance at the MPHS class of '94 reunion this weekend. i was actually looking forward to it, but alas. not this time. i'll have to hook up with my homies when i am home in october instead....

and that's all i've got. now i'm off to wish it wasn't too late to mail-order a full-body victorian swim dress in time for next week...

No comments: