Monday, June 23, 2008

post-solstice summer already?

i'm back! well, you might not have noticed i was gone. but i was. believe me. i was laid low, so low, last week by some sort of mysterious illness. i came to work on Thursday morning, but by around 9:00 i was having severe "lady problems" and had to leave. that knocked me out of commission for most of the day, but i started to feel better around 6:00 or 7:00 that night. we had dinner, played some wii, and i thought things were better... but i was so wrong. Friday morning rolled around, and i had planned on biking in to work. i felt kind of crappy when i woke up, so i decided to skip the bike trip. later, i was very thankful for this choice. very. soon you'll understand why. i got to work on Friday morning, still feeling bad and getting worse by the minute. i ate a bite of a banana for breakfast... and things went downhill quickly after that. i wandered down to the sick room in human resources to take advantage of the sick bed for a few minutes. but due to an unfortunate building design choice, the sick room is located right next to the kitchen. i caught a wiff of someone heating up his gamey-smelling breakfast and it was all over after that. i literally ran to my office, grabbed my purse and ran from the building. i couldn't even stop to tell anyone i was leaving. i just ran, fearing that i would barf all over the place any minute. i jumped into my hot, humid car and drove home, willing myself not to barf in my car. "please, god, don't let me barf in my car." i had the air conditioning blasting right in my face. i had to turn the radio off because the sound of diane rhem's voice just wasn't helping matters.

i made it all the way to my neighborhood before remembering that there was construction happening on my street and parking was prohibited on my block all morning. the fates are not kind, sometimes. not kind at all. so i was forced to drive around like a crazed maniac, looking for legal parking, all while smelling the hot tar fumes and being assaulted by the pounding of the paving equipment. i finally found parking and walk/ran to my house. i held my shit together, mostly, until i got in the house. i did, however, barf a little bit on my shirt while parking. can you imagine if i had to bike home? or take the metro? there would have been copious amounts of public barfing, to be sure.

i will keep the rest of the details to myself. just let it be known that Friday was not a good day. i even crawled to the computer to google the symptoms of salmonella poisoning. negative. and toxic shock syndrom. negatory. so lord knows what i had. but i didn't feel completely normal until Sunday.

i feel great today, though! i biked into work today and all went well. the only things i forgot this time are: hair products (so i am left with limp, limp hair); breakfast (so i am left with a ravenous hunger); and my lunch. but lunch is not a tragedy, because today is the AIP summer picnic! at 2:00! so i have a short-short work day, followed by a catered BBQ lunch and bingo and prizes and all sorts of fun. yahoo. not too bad for a Monday.

in other events this weekend, i saw a few silverdocs movies with scott, and went for a bike ride with courtney yesterday evening.

2 comments:

Jessie and David said...

did you google "pregnancy". ha ha ha! ~bess

mel said...

har de HAR HAR. that's a good one, bess. but since my problems stemmed from blood gushing from my nether regions in it's normal monthly cycle... i am guessing not. :)